IMG_0166Ardscoil na Trionoide JCT VS Blackrock College JCT

Ardscoil made a long trip to the famous Blackrock College who are going for their 69th senior cup final early Wednesday morning . The sun was splitting the stones as the Ardscoil bus rolled upon the campus . Many of the players and coaches were in awe of the magnificent grounds , the view from the first pitch overlooked the beautiful Dublin bay. With all Ardscoil players excited with the challenge that faced them they got changed quickly and were out on the field in no time. Ardscoil got their stretch underway and got some team runs in . With the Blackrock team leaving their warm up very late . A tag match with the senior team got the boys prepared for the tough encounter.

Finally Danny Loughman, captain on the day, was called in for the toss . Blackrock won the toss and chose to kick off. They were playing into the sun which was a major factor throughout the match. With the ball bouncing wildly on the hard, sandy ground Lochlann Kelleher was quick to gather and gallop forward . Some courageous carries by Cian Miley gained a lot of hard-earned territory for the men in black.

A cunning show-and-go by Aidan Henry deceived the Rock defence and led to a superb solo try. Minutes later Henry dotted down again to put the score at 14-0 after Eoin Cahill slotted two simple kicks. Cathal Byrne displayed some great ball carrying skills after a speedy line break but unfortunately knocked the ball on only metres from the try line with no defender in sight. Ardscoil had really rose to the occasion of being pitted against this notorious side, however Blackrock began to fight back with Ardscoil narrowly escaping conceding a try by winning a hard fought penalty on their own line through hard work from the pack. Aodhan Cullen crossed the line in the corner through a clean lineout. Eoin Cahill knocked over the conversion from the sideline. Minutes later Eoin dived over the whitewash after running a good line off the back of a solid scrum. This left Ardscoil leading 28-0 at the break.

Ardscoil began the second half with a few changes, Culann Carbery took over the kicking duties as Cahill left the field of play. Ardscoil blitzed the Blackrock defence in the early stages of the second half with a rip-roaring run from Ian Fleming beginning inside the Ardscoil twenty-two and ending in a try with defenders left sprawling. Blackrock attacked well but valiant defence from Ardscoil kept them out once again, followed by great counter attacking play from Tommy Keane linking up with the fresh legs of Culann Carbery. Blackrock struggled to deal with Ardscoil’s injection of fresh legs and a well organised pack which resulted in a great team try finished by Jamie Griffin in the corner. Culann narrowly missed the kick from an acute angle. Minutes later after a superb offload from Caoilte Kelly left Ian Fleming in space again to saunter over the line for his second of the game. Blackrock pressurised from the kick-off but a quick poach from Seamus Hickey created space for a barnstorming run from Tom O’Connor to relieve the pressure. Richie Kelly stepped inside a defender to threaten the line but an unfortunate knock-on from Ardscoil gave Blackrock an attacking platform. They marched down into the Ardscoil twenty-two like men on a mission and minutes later got over the line for their first score of the game. Shortly after the final whistle blew and brought an end to a successful day for the Ardscoil Juniors, the Seniors were narrowly beaten after staging a strong comeback from two tries down against a talented Blackrock side.